Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Autobahn Adventures


So, on one of our many trips to and from our new residence I am driving towards home on the Autobahn. We are in a stau (traffic jam) and things get even slower. Eventually I come upon a disabled car. As I am about to try to merge into the right lane to go around I realize that it is Craig's car in front of me. His car had totally died. I stop, put on my hazards and push his car to the side of the road. Of course, we had to cross a lane first. If traffic hadn't been going really slow I would never have dared to be on foot on the autobahn! I called ADAC, the german version of AAA and they said it would be 45-60 mins until they could reach us. They had a lot of disabled cars (It was a HOT day-for here anyway). 60 mins later the ADAC guy calls and says that he is stuck in the stau behind us and it would be awhile before he could get to us. So, we wait some more. (We did have to let Mia pee off the side of the road). Finally the bright yellow car shows up. It is NOT a tow truck. The man gets out with a hammer. Craig and I just kind of look at each other. He crawls under the car and starts hitting things with his hammer and we're just thinking. 'duh, the old hit it with the hammer trick'. Well his car starts right up! We do the paperwork and Craig attempts to drive off but the car dies again. Again, the hammer trick works. Again, it dies. so, he hooks Craig up to a tow rope and tows him off the next exit. THEN, he finally calls the tow truck. Luckily, there is a McDonald's at this exit. The kids and I go there to get food while Craig waits for the tow truck. The tow truck driver though wants Craig to ride with him the rest of the way home. It turns out that the fuel pump was kaputt. (the mechanic replaced it for less than 20 euro). Not so fun adventures.

No comments: